Dermatology research at USZ
The research department of our clinic comprises a staff of about 50-60 researchers. Most researchers are funded by external institutions and organization, e.g. Swiss National Science Foundation. The current research foci are skin cancer, especially melanoma, inflammatory skin diseases such as psoriasis, allergology, and immunotherapy of skin-related diseases. The results of our research, both in vitro as well as on zebrafish, mice, and larger animals, are implemented as quickly as possible in pre-clinical models for the purpose of efficient clinical translation and to offer our patients the most advanced medical therapy.Ultimately and typically in collaboration with industry and the Clinical Trials Center of the University Hospital, we are able to perform clinical trials within own facilities. The research labs are located at USZ (Gloriastrasse 31) as well as the UZH research site in Schlieren (Wagistrasse 12-14).
- Promote high quality research with clinical relevance.
- Promote networking and collaboration with other institutes and departments at the University of Zurich and ETH, and through active participation in local and national research networks such as Cancer Network Zurich.
- Promote teaching and education of young researchers in the fields of dermatology, also through participation in the Life Science Zurich Graduate School for PhD students.
- Support own fellowships in other excellent national and international research institutions.
- Create endowed professorships in our department in allergy, inflammatory skin disease and skin cancer research, with the aim of recruiting and retaining leaders in these fields.
- Maximize competitive research funding, including such from the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF professorships).
- Promote technology transfer and business development of own research, e.g. own spin-off companies with support from Innosuisse.